Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Davao City, Philippines

This is based on my conversation with a friend who lives in Manila. This post is intended for those people don’t know well and have wrong concepts on our dear city. . .


Q: How does it feel living in davao? err.. Broad question, be specific please. :D

Q: How does Davao look like? Are there a lot of farms with goats and cows?


I was like, huh? here's a view from our class room. let's just allow the picture do the talking =)


What makes Davao a great city to live is that it has the right blend of modernization yet stays friendly with the environment


Q: Are there a lot of Muslims in your place and are there any Abu Sayaffs?


Yes, there are some Muslims who live in Davao and it saddens me to accept the fact that most of the Filipinos' impression on Muslims would always relate to violence. But I could not blame my fellow Filipinos well, beside from infamous Manny Pacquioa's superb achievement in the boxing arena, we can't deny the fact that Philippines also became famous because of the kidnapping of people from this DEMENTED GROUP! Remember the Martin and Gracia Burnham kidnapping? I would end up questioning why do these people are not infected with colon cancer instead of good people like the late president, Corazon Aquino. But here's the thing why i will never condemn the muslims as a whole. Way back in grade school, I had this classmate who said to me "we are not like the other Muslims that you see in televisions, we do not want war". We were so young then and at that young age, my classmate already felt the dilemma. in logic that true to all is true to some but true to some is not true to all. The law of subaltern. It's always wrong to generalize, but human as we are, we often say before me think and just ride on with our emotions.just like now, I'm getting off the topic . yay!


Q: Can all of the people in Davao speak tagalog (Philippine Language)?


I bet, yes! basing on my experiences even those people who were not formally educated, they can speak tagalog and english...carabao english and tagalog nga lang. :) Funny thing is, in our school, not everyone can speak visayan (our local dialect) but everyone can speak tagalog and english. I would often hear people trying to speak visayan (carabao visayan ^^ ) since we need to communicate to the people using the local dialect. Maui, I salute you! you are now an expert when speaking visayan! :))


A quick list why I'm proud of our city


1. Next to Quezon City, Davao is the next most livable city in Philippines.

2. Since I realized that I have the ability to think, it was only twice when we experience storm signal number 1.

3. You don't have to travel 2 hours to reach the beach, the marvelous white sand of Samal Island is just few minutes away.

4. Technically, it's a safe place for the good people. Heard the death squad rumors? so if your a bad guy, stay away from the city, seriously.

5. We have the most hard working metro aides in the country (plus the well disciplined people), thank you for making our city clean!

6. Cigarette smoking is prohibited in the public places. Our cops should implement this law strictly, they should not wait our mayor to remind them again.

7. Our mayor, Rodrigo Duterte is definitely the best. PERIOD!


Few more days, our city will be celebrating the festivals of festivals.

HAPPY KADAYAWAN DAVAO!


...........................................................................................

My friend, Aying is celebrating her 21st birthday today. We grow so fast!!!

Below is our birthday girl with my poor photohop skill =)


And this is me, showing off one of our 6 pizzas. time to pig out. yehey! =)


33 Violent Comments:

dChen of The Citadel said...

babuy! XD I like the post :P

youngcampbell said...

i prefer PIG than be a bully! don chen bully! bully! bully! thanks for droppin anyway, still! bully ka! :D

Anonymous said...

i like this post too

pam said...

grabe..mao diay mga reviewers tawag nla sa davao probinsya.

7. Our mayor, Rodrigo Duterte is definitely the best. PERIOD!

whahaha period!

Jev Ervin (a multiply buddy) said...

Hello, as far as I'm concerned, the misconceptions are non existent in me. =) Davao, being a city (is industrialized) and I think it's far from the violence of the more southern provinces. hehe

Anonymous said...

gusto ko yung bawal ang manigarilyo sa public places. sana ganyan din kastrict ang law dito sa manila. sarap ng pizza. Penge...:D

youngcampbell said...

sure rej, come to davao! I'll give you pizzas!

Joshualaw said...

Thanks for dropping by my site ya! =)
Wow..the pizza looks huge! LoL~

Hans said...

thanks for dropping at my blog.
awesome blog you got there

youngcampbell said...

the best thing is that it's crust is thin...! :)

youngcampbell said...

thanks hansley, come back again! :D

Bartybart said...

Mas malinis, mas disiplinado ang mga tao, maayus ang pamamalakad ng lokal na gobyerno... Mas di hamak na mas maganda ang Davao kaysa sa Pasay city! Isang taga-Pasay na ang nagsasabi nyan.

Nyahahahahahahaha!

Nice blog! As always!

youngcampbell said...

66 thank you so much barty! pasyal ka sa davao! =)

Bartybart said...

Sige ba! Di ko lang alam kung kelan... Basta kung madala na lang ng hangin dyan. ^_^

E pag pumunta ako dyan sa Davao sinung pupuntahan ko dyan? Ikaw?

^_^

youngcampbell said...

sakay ka nalang ng walis tingting.

ako, gala tayo! :))

iAmGawwy said...

Wow ngayon ko lang nalaman to muka ngang magandang tumira dyan.

fence sitter said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog.

Nice blog.

I heard Davao is a really nice place-the biggest city. You are lucky to be living in Davao.

simplegal said...

hello there!greetings from CDO.thanks for dropping by my "place"..nice blog indeed..i've written also a piece before 'bout this "stereotyping" thing about Mindanao. Though people nowadays has already wider perspective than before, there are still those who does not see Mindanao the way we see it. And sadly, hate to read that you had an experience about this. 'nuff said..:D God bless!

youngcampbell said...

used to be the 2nd largest city in the WORLD. =)

i dont exactly know how to describe the experience, pero okay na rin. at least i have a subject on what to write in my blog and people who come by may be at least educated/informed/oriented *cant find the exact word* :)

low cost ang living. masasarap ang mga pagkain! come to davao! :D

Anonymous said...

jul! while I'm away sa city, naiisip ko ang mga bagay na toh. INDEED, Davao is a great place. We are so lucky to be living here!

youngcampbell said...

jo!!! once again thanks sa lucky charm! :D

amieyalen said...

I like the post... alike me... I am a muslim whom hates war... I hate everything in violence...

youngcampbell said...

hey, i'm really glad a muslim was able to read this.

simply-shawn said...

Wow, I find it so complicated! Haha, just dropping by!

youngcampbell said...

i am now feeling the same way too. :)

yay! I think i'll go back using my old skin. wanna have a clean and simple one. thanks for droppin shawn! its an honor! :))

Anonymous said...

great post.
im gee ;)i'm glad when i read your post. i am a native in davao, born in davao and lived in davao for almost 18 yrs. just recently i was relocated here in cebu. cebu is good but davao is awesome and is really an art. i am always proud of davao. bukambibig ko ang davao kahit saan ako magpunta. i just realized lately that i am more proud to be called dabawenya.
i hate it when people (im refering to stupid people) criticize my hometown. i am hurting because what they were saying is not really accurate and true. hate it! but anyway, i love davao and davao rocks!

youngcampbell said...

thank you for commenting! no better place like home :D

Giselle said...

hi! im from QC,. and im planning to move to davao na! haha! :) cool post, i love davao!

youngcampbell said...

haha! when you stay here, you'll love it more! :))

Rochelle said...

dropped by :)

youngcampbell said...

wow! nuffnang's blogger of the month in the house! :)

Anonymous said...

I am an American and visiting Davao city in June. Can you recommend a nice hotel?

youngcampbell said...

Marco Polo Hotel is the most famous one. :)

Post a Comment

type what's on your mind. asserting is not a crime! :)